Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tartine...

How do you sum up Tartine in words?
Chris.
Simply put, Tartine is the very best bakery in the world.  
I would never be so assuming as to think that I could find bread in France that would trump the art of Chad Robertson and his wife Elizabeth Prueitt, the talented couple who started the bakery in 2002.  Kendra, my Chef at the Penny Ice Creamery worked for Tartine when she came back from doing her stage in France.  She recommended the bakery to me and I've been hooked ever since.
  If there ever was such an attentive bread making process I would never believe it.  Our friend Chris, who works at Companion Bakery in Santa Cruz, deems Chad a god of baking expertise. 
And he is.  I have never seen such a beautiful, even crust, with flawless crisp bubbles on the exterior, and a warm yeasty flavor that needs no butter no any other accompaniment.
We watched as Chad scored each loaf, and maneuvered the dough on great gurney-esque canvas beds into the oven where he then sprayed the outside of the loaves with water as they heated, to create the perfect bubbling crust.
Katie.

We ate out treats in Dolores Park, sharing pastries, cakes and loaves of bread.  Our picnic was a bit of a farewell to  Katie and I both.  Katie, Chris's sister, who works alongside me at The Penny Ice Creamery, is going to France as well.  She and her boyfriend, Daniel, will working on a farm in Normandy that grows wheat, mills wheat, and bakes with the flour.  She'll be just like the 
Little Red Hen!  I can't wait to see her in France!
Perfectly floured loaves.
A year without Tartine is going to be a really long, sad time.  The Tartine Bread cookbook is on my wishlist.  I need to learn to make delicious bread of my own.  It's an art form that I will have to patiently master.
 If you're interested in learning more about Tartine or the proccess of bread, this is the best video to watch.  It's not too long and it's beautiful.
Enjoy!