Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mornings on the Quai...

Freak thunderstorms must be quite common here in Bordeaux.  The pelting raindrops and cracks of thunder lasted only twenty minutes but left people completely soaked, huddling in doorways and sheltering their infants with shopping bags.
I would have imagined everything washed away in this deluge, yet on the banks of the Gironde, the white tents of the Chatron Market still stood strong.  Below the tents were the prettiest arrangements of produce, seafood, made to order pizzas and kebab lunches, spice stalls and the most beautiful cheeses I have ever seen in my entire life. 
This market is quite close to my house so I plan to try one cheese a week until I've tried them all.  I think they'll be perfect for midday picnics in the Jardin Public!
Brace yourself, there are a lot of pictures of cheese... 
Tables and chairs kept dry under the tent.

Eggplant stacked with mozzarella, and prosciutto + fresh kebabs for lunch!





So beautiful!



Hand thrown salt shakers.