Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Most Likely to Change the World...

If I had to vote for one person that I know for this prize, it would be my dear friend, Heather.  
Growing up, Heather always had the most prudent words of wisdom, and kindest heart. 
She was always the one to tell me about some program that was doing good in the world or exposing me to new documentaries like Invisible Children
Harvesting stinging nettles in Bonny Doon.  Heather showed us how to make Nettle Pesto, Nettle Tea, Nettle Omlets, etc.  Yum!
The summer Heather spent a year in Uganda, Africa, helping women reconstruct their livelihoods with a program called Light Gives Heat was hugely inspiring. 
Wild Oats tea, one of the native plants Heather taught us to forage.
In addition to being a world samaritan, Heather is a strong anchor for me here at home in Santa Cruz.  We often have dinner at her cabin in Bonny Doon, and she's taught Ryan and I a thing or two about the great outdoors, like which plants to eat and how to give yourself a leaf tattoo.
I'm excited to see where her next adventure leads her.  Where ever she is, she'll be doing good for the world around her.
A leaf tattoo in Bonny Doon.