Friday, August 26, 2011

Barber Shop Quartet...

I never would have found this place on my own.  
Shannon recently told be about Johnny's, the brand new barber shop in Santa Cruz.
Though it's new, this barber shop hails from another era.  Johnny and his friends decorated the interior with old wood paneling, antique chairs, zinc washing stations, and moose antlers above the door to 
'The John'.

Johnny only cuts beards and moustaches, and men's hair.

Lucky for me, I meet one requirement:
 I have men's hair!
Getting 'buzzed' at Johnny's.
I strode into Johnny's looking quite dapper- a fresh bow tie,  and my new oxford saddle shoes.

In the barber chair I quizzed Johnny about the history of barber shops, various short hair styles, and the resurgence of artisanal practices, not only in food, but everything from cobbling and clothing to hair!
snip, snip, snip!
It took me a day to feel comfortable in my new do'.  
There was something about going to the barber that seemed to question my femininity.  

But I came round, and I'd go again.  
A 17 dollar hair cut, and a chance to get dolled up was well worth it!