Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Colors...


The sun sets early here in England, ending my urban explorations and countryside walks much earlier than I'm used to, and filling my head with dissonant thoughts about the earth's axial tilt, obliquity, ellipses and other terms that ought to be locked far, far away in physics classroom where I don't have to be subjected to them. 
Uninvited as they are, among these thoughts about the planet's comings and goings is a glimmer of good tidings.  According to science textbooks and ancient warlocks alike, yesterday was the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, which means today is just a little tiny bit longer.  And even though I probably won't be able to tell the difference myself, this is still very exciting news.  It means summer is coming (more or less), and I can't wait!


 
 
 Uninhibited by the lack of proper footwear (Hunter rainboots seem to be the uniform de rigeur here), I have quite enjoyed walking through the fields of Nonsuch and Horsham Parks partaking in what seems to be the British past time of slow strolling.  Maybe it's the season, with everything exploding in the reds and greens of the Christmas season, but no one seems to be at all deterred by the weather. 
I know one Californian in need of a bigger jacket...